Monday, July 28, 2014

White Basalmic Egg Salad

Day three of my Gestational Diabetes log didn't start as well as I'd hoped, my fasting numbers were close - at 95, they wanted to see them under 90, but my after breakfast (felt icky so I grabbed a bowl of cereal rather than a protein packed breakfast) my sugars skyrocketed to 182.  My highest number yet!

So terrified I brainstormed and came up with a high protein, low-carb (only 6 carbs in all) solution.

The White Balsamic Egg Salad
      (Single Serving)

3 Hard Boiled Eggs
1.5 T McCormick Mayo, with Lime
.5 T (2 t.) White Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 t. each of Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder

If you've never made an egg salad before, its incredibly simple, boil the eggs for 15 minutes, let cool, peel, mash up with a fork, and throw all the ingredients in.

The reason this one makes my list of "extreme yummies" is the white balsamic vinegar, I found myself out of pickle juice one day and swapped in some balsamic, the white just makes it that much more flavorful.  The consistency of it is salad is divine, creamy and rich, but still chunky (If you like smoother eggs feel free to mash more!)  The other fun thing with this Egg Salad is the versatility of eating, I put mine as a lettuce wrap because I didn't want the extra carbs from bread, but its also great to use as a dip for carrots, celery, and peppers too!

Nutritional Notes: Total meal for all 3 eggs in 3 lettuce wraps 429 calories, 6 carbs, 33 g of fat, 20 g of protein. Use light mayo, or 2 egg whites and one whole egg to reduce fat!

No comments:

Post a Comment