Sunday, July 27, 2014

Caribbean Jerk Lettuce Wraps

I was recently diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes, which for a mama like me, who enjoys food way too much, was devastating, especially since my sugar levels can't be assisted by extra exercise as I'm on bed-rest!

So my husband and I have started a quest to find / make awesome, filling, easy-to-make food.  The first one that we have found is the Caribbean Jerk Lettuce Wraps.  Only 363 calories for three wraps!

1 bag frozen Kroger Italian-style Meatballs (ground beef)
1 bottle Caribbean Jerk Marinade
½ c. Barley
1 carrot
1 head lettuce
Greek Yogurt


Bring to boil meatballs, marinade, and barley, reduce to simmer and boil for an hour, adding water as needed.
Chop up carrots into fine “sticks”. In a large lettuce leaf place two meatballs, marinade, and a few tablespoons of barley, sprinkle with carrot sticks and add a dollup of Greek Yogurt.  For 3 wraps, under 400 calories!

Normally I would make these with home-made meatballs, but as I said, I'm on bed-rest, so adjustments have been made!  Feel free to substitute out your own favorite meatball.

**Try adding chunks of pineapple, or almonds for an extra yummy kick!**


No comments:

Post a Comment