Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Picture Frame Project - 6 frames for Under $10!

My Completed Frame
Ok, so the actual costs unfortunately will vary, but I spent $4.88 at Lowes on black "metal" spray paint and $2.76 on painters tape and used 6 frames that I had or was gifted.  I did six frames, two 8x10s and four 4x6s, and still have at least half of a can of spray paint and most of the roll of painters tape.  If you don't have any portion of the frame you want to keep in its "original" state you won't need the painters tape.  Check the $1 Store, garage sales, and Goodwill for old frames too.  Remember you're only looking for the structure of frame.


The Original Frame
Using painters tape and taking your time, cover any part of the frame you want to keep in its original state.  The key to getting a crisp sharp line is PRESSURE.  Rub the painters tape with an eraser or firm pressure of your finger to ensure its snug, if you need to make a corner-overlap the bit and rub it down too.

Fully and Carefully Taped Frame
Once finished taping (by far the longest part of the redesign) I took the frames outside and set them on a big old cardboard box.  You might want to secure them with a little tape onto the cardboard box, I bumped my box once and sent them all skittering about a few inches, made me nervous!
Set Up Your Work Area 

Make sure there is enough space between each frame to get to (notice how the bottom on the right are close together?  I had to bump that one to get to those two sides, don't risk a finger print!)
First Coat

When you are applying the spray paint don't soak it, read and follow the instructions (shake a full minute before spraying then spray 8-10 inches above the frame and left to right, release and shake the can, right to left, release and shake.)  I ended up applying 3 coats taking a 5-10 minute break between each coat and I think they look perfect.
The Second Coat (I hadn't left enough room and had to bump my frames around!)

I noticed as soon as my first coat was finished that the frames were too close together, and the slightest bump sent the lighter frames shifting.  So do remember to secure them and leave yourself space!

Completely Dry
Be sure to wait until they are fully dry.  My spray paint was done in 40 minutes, but I gave it the full hour the can requested.  Don't peel the tape off beforehand or you'll risk fingerprints or drips!  You should have a nice clean line if you took your time with the tape.

Peel The Tape Off
Completed Picture Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment